Menu Planner 4.0 now available!

109 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yes definitely. A desktop version would sort my iPad 1 compatibility problems. I'd be much happier to pay good money for a decent desktop app rather than have to buy an iPad to not have to do the heavy lifting work on my iPhone. That way I can go back to using my iPhone just for reference or making small adjustments. 

Posted · Report post

Web interface should be the first thing to work on!!!!!

I'm gonna move my list of problems from the comments section to here... Maybe I'll get a response....

Original post from December 1st:

This update is very difficult!!!!! I have been using this app since it first came out and I have probably thousands of my recipes on it.  My phone automatically updated the app and I HATE the changes!!! I have not updated my iPad app because it is so much easier to use on there now.  

The problem with having different versions is that when I'm out shopping I need my recipes and menu plan on my phone and when I'm cooking I use it on my iPad because it's easier to read but I'm afraid to sync anything since getting this update.

When pressing the + button to add an item to my menu it automatically pulls up the keyboard so It quickly covers the category option which is normally how I search for items.  It's so fast that there is no way for me to search by category because on my phone it doesn't allow me to close the keyboard... WHAT A PAIN!!!! (Update: I have since learned to push the return button to get the keyboard out of the way.... Just another button to push... What a pain!!!! And the fact that there was no way of knowing how to do it was a pain for awhile!!!!)

Since getting this update I do not like that on my phone I cannot see what I have planned for the month because it only shows little dots and you have to look in each one to see what it is.  In the old app I was able to easily see what my plan was at a glance and move meals from one day to another quickly.  Now you have to go through to many steps just to see or move items.  WHAT A PAIN!!!!

Having to tap 'Edit' adds an extra step to what used to be easy.  And you even have to tap 'edit' to delete something from your menu.  Then when the items are listed and you want to see the actual recipe you have even more buttons to push because you would have to press the ingredients option or the directions option or anything else just to see what's on your recipe.... WHAT A PAIN!!!!!!  It used to be so easy!!!! Let alone forgetting that you have to push that little + button to even get it on your menu!!!!  Then you have to close the list to see what you have on your menu already.  WHAT A PAIN!!!!

ALSO...  It would help so much if this app worked online instead of having to back up my phone app and restoring the changes to my iPad in order to use the same info on both devices. Also the fact that I have to remember which device I made changes on makes this very difficult to maintain.  WHAT A PAIN!!!! - when will this be an option!!!!  I use Cozi for my calendar and because it is so easy to see everything anywhere because it's online I may need to give up on Menu Planner and give Cozi's menu options a try.  I hate to say that because of how long I have used Menu Planner and enjoyed it up until this update, but WHAT A PAIN this update is and makes me hate Menu Planner!!!

I would LOVE to actually hear back from someone about all these issues because I miss my old Menu Planner and would love to have some improvements (like online accessibility) to that one without these stupid changes that were made and would like to understand why something that was easy needed to be made difficult!!

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

It would seem that you have frustrated many of your loyal users. Perhaps an answer to this thread is in order?

Is there hope of having some of these issues resolved? It is a bit crazy not to have an online (non-mobile version of something like a recipe planner since such things are hard to view on a PHONE. I'm guessing you are more interested in pleasing iPad customers and maybe that is where the bulk of your customers are, but you could just tell us that up front? We'd like to know if a web version of this is ever going to be available again, and about when to look for it. Hope can be a good thing. Being ignored is a bad thing.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I am eagerly waiting for the desktop interface version again, like the others have said - I was SO disappointed when the new version didn't have it.  I love this I app, but hardly use it now that I can't manage it from my desktop.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

If I update the app on my iPad, will I still be able to sync with the app on my old iPhone, which is still running on IOS 7?

Posted · Report post

It is PATHETIC that it is now 4 months later and there is still no online (web portal)  version.   Can you please advise the EXACT DATE this will be resolved so, that at a minimum,  those of us that require a web portal for parsing recipes can make an informed decision on whether to fish or cut bait with this version.  It is the LEAST you can do for your loyal customers.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Just coming back 3 months later to see if the web interface is available.  It is really sad, but I haven't used the app at all since the new version cut out the desktop version.  I got most of my recipes from Pinterest and the like and can't use the app right now.  Any other alternatives out there?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I had to take a little break, but I do have some updates coming. Also, I added the ability to manage recipes through a web interface today. For now, it's ONLY setup to manage recipes. I'll add the pantry items and other data next, but I know this has been a hot topic, so I thought it would be worth publishing now. 

Go to http://menu-planner.com, then click on the Sign In link at the top of the page to manage your recipes online. Please let me know if you run into any issues, and please keep in mind that it's only going to let you edit recipes for now. I'm still working on the other areas. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The  new web-portal's recipe editing still needs a couple of features to get it back to the same level as the legacy app...the ability to cut and past a group of ingredients (i.e. paste a block of text), rather than a single ingredient at a time, and of course, the ability to import a recipe from another site.  I'm glad there's a way to view the recipes online...but editing is really insignificantly easier than via the mobile app

CAN YOU MAKE THIS THE HIGHEST PRIORITY?

Edited by jis007