Menu Planner 4.0 now available!

109 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Thank you for what you're doing!  I came here to address what I was having trouble with and it looks like others have already addressed the problems (ie. sorting by date, category)  However, now I'm afraid that it converted my measurements wrong and I will never know until I make something disastrous.  Like others - I have been using this app for many years and have finally gotten my entire recipe collection entered (including old handwritten family recipes).

A feature that I would love is a sort by date when the recipe was added.  I will spend a day adding new recipes and want to try them soon and forget what I've added.  I also sometimes forget to categorize a recipe (beef, chicken, etc) and I would go back and sort by category so I could find the recipes with NONE (no categories) so that I could then categorize them.  I'm not finding a way to do find recipes that are not categorized.

I'm tempted to start all over as you suggested in the post above so that I know everything is pulled in correctly, but I have recently added new recipes after the update and I will not remember which ones I added (here's where the sort by date added feature would be very handy).

I also use the web interface frequently when adding recipes! :)  I will be glad to see a desktop version soon!

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok - I just noticed that all of my notes are gone (like the previous person) and it has been replaced with the URL link saved with the recipe.  HELP!

I am now glad that the online version has not been affected in any way so that I can compare to be sure everything is converted right.

Edited by nichole120

Posted · Report post

Ok - I just noticed that all of my notes are gone (like the previous person) and it has been replaced with the URL link saved with the recipe.  HELP!

Sounds like you have converted data from before the fix went out! If you had a sync account before the upgrade, check out this post for more info on how to get your old data re-converted. Otherwise, you can go to Settings and tap on "Re-convert old data" to fix the notes issue. However, doing that will delete any changes you've made since the upgrade, and converting inside the app will still try to convert your recipe ingredients' measurement units. Doing it through the old sync account will get around both issues. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

My plan is to have both Mac and Windows versions. 

Alan, do you think that you could add Menuplanner to the auto import list? That way the recipe that are added online can be added to the app later. I like the idea of having a backup. Also can you add the option to filter by added date on the website? I added some recipes over the weekend (during the update) but I don't know which ones. Thanks 

Posted · Report post

There's a new filters screen, but I'm not sure if that will get you where you want. I can look into adding the ability to list them by category.

Thank you

Posted · Report post

The old sync account isn't touched during the conversion. If it's in good shape now, it'll stay that way. What other are having success with is deleting the NEW sync account (I need to do that on my end). Then, when you sign into your sync account from the new version of Menu Planner, it triggers the data conversion on the server. It copies everything to the new sync account, and leaves the old alone. The main advantage to doing it this way is that I can update the conversion process on the server because it's outside of the app and I have full control over it. So it gets fixes right away, while the conversion inside the app has to wait for an update through the App Store, which can take up to eight days to get approved! 

So basically, I need to delete your new sync account, then have you sign in again to start the conversion of your old data on the server. After that's finished, you should be all set. And your old account will still be out there just in case. 

Alan, can you help me with this? I'm having the same issue. My app hasn't completed the sync. It's going on 7 hours. Thanks

Posted · Report post

Alan, can you help me with this? I'm having the same issue. My app hasn't completed the sync. It's going on 7 hours. Thanks

Definitely - shoot me an email (alan@menu-planner.com) so I can get delete your new sync account and get your started.

Posted · Report post

Looks like I missed that in the re-write! I'll look into getting that added back in.

Hi Alan. Along with restoring the 'sort by last used' to the recipes section, would it be possible to add a 'sort by date added' option? I would REALLY find that helpful as I like to take an afternoon and add a mass of recipes at a time and I find I miss making some of those I add because they get lost in the shuffle of all my other recipes. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the feedback! My goal is to get another update or two finished to get the rest of the known issues taken care of, then start working on desktop versions. One of the reasons I re-wrote the entire app was to plan better for other platforms, so moving to a desktop version is going to take a lot less time than it did to do this iOS version. It's really hard to give a timeline, and I know how integral it is with the app - so it's one of my highest priorities!

I agree with some of the other posters.  I almost only used the desktop version to ADD recipes, but would then use my iPhone or iPad to shop and cook recipes.  The desktop version makes it so much easier to import recipes from emails or unsupported websites.  I am very disappointed to see this go.  I also seem to be missing a lot of my recipes, not sure where they went.  I'm a little disappointed to see this loss in functionality.  I agree this is one of the best apps out there so I am looking forward to the desktop functionality again!

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

The old sync account isn't touched during the conversion. If it's in good shape now, it'll stay that way. What other are having success with is deleting the NEW sync account (I need to do that on my end). Then, when you sign into your sync account from the new version of Menu Planner, it triggers the data conversion on the server. It copies everything to the new sync account, and leaves the old alone. The main advantage to doing it this way is that I can update the conversion process on the server because it's outside of the app and I have full control over it. So it gets fixes right away, while the conversion inside the app has to wait for an update through the App Store, which can take up to eight days to get approved! 

So basically, I need to delete your new sync account, then have you sign in again to start the conversion of your old data on the server. After that's finished, you should be all set. And your old account will still be out there just in case. 

Can we move forward with this, Alan? If I have nothing to lose then I'd like to try and fix the things you've mentioned. I'm lost without this app functioning the way it was!

Posted · Report post

Couple more things...

1) There are some wonky things going on with the auto-import feature. For example, I have fresh garlic in my pantry items list, and I also have a recipe called "Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice" that is marked for using as an ingredient for recipes. The auto-import is seeing garlic in the importing recipe and assigning it to Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice without even saying there is an issue. The same thing happened with white wine, which was assigned to white wine vinegar without any flags that anything was wrong. Quite a big difference in the outcome of a recipe. 

2) When I go to a website (for example, foodnetwork.com) for auto-import of a recipe and decide to click on the link that shows a video of how to make the recipe, it plays fine, but then continues to loop, playing the audio even when I've navigated to a different part of your app. So annoying. Not sure if it quits once you leave the app and then re-enter, but it might be worth checking. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You're also missing some units, which has left my recipes vague when the unassigned units dropped out entirely when not matched up to one that you programmed. Some that I've noticed are:

splash, head, leaves (the app lists "leaf" but it doesn't seem to be recognizing the plural), handful, rasher (how UK specifies slices of bacon), bulb. (I'll add as I notice more.)

Also, there was a reason why I didn't spell out some of these units. In a rush making dinner, at first glance, it's difficult to tell the difference between tablespoon and teaspoon, which is why I designated teaspoon as "tsp" and tablespoon as a capital "T". Is there a way to put that control back into our hands? Or at least let us set a preference as to how we want the units to appear?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Couple more things...

1) There are some wonky things going on with the auto-import feature. For example, I have fresh garlic in my pantry items list, and I also have a recipe called "Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice" that is marked for using as an ingredient for recipes. The auto-import is seeing garlic in the importing recipe and assigning it to Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice without even saying there is an issue. The same thing happened with white wine, which was assigned to white wine vinegar without any flags that anything was wrong. Quite a big difference in the outcome of a recipe. 

2) When I go to a website (for example, foodnetwork.com) for auto-import of a recipe and decide to click on the link that shows a video of how to make the recipe, it plays fine, but then continues to loop, playing the audio even when I've navigated to a different part of your app. So annoying. Not sure if it quits once you leave the app and then re-enter, but it might be worth checking. 

soul sketcher this happened to me. Anything that had garlic and not garlic cloves was changed to Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice.  Thanks for asking about this: 

Also, there was a reason why I didn't spell out some of these units. In a rush making dinner, at first glance, it's difficult to tell the difference between tablespoon and teaspoon, which is why I designated teaspoon as "tsp" and tablespoon as a capital "T". Is there a way to put that control back into our hands? Or at least let us set a preference as to how we want the units to appear?

Posted · Report post

soul sketcher this happened to me. Anything that had garlic and not garlic cloves was changed to Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice.  Thanks for asking about this: 

The update that went out yesterday will fix the first issue with ingredients matching to the first item that starts with the ingredient name. I'm still looking at some options for the measurement units, but it's in the works!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

New version came as a bit of a short as it looks very pretty but useful features have disappeared like date last used, I know lots of people want nutritional information and to count the calories but some of us just want a varied meal plan and to try not to have our favourites every week as this in not part of the tool now I am not sure how to do this and will make me reluctant to use the app. Also unless you are very good the pantry part of the app is difficult to maintain especial if you don't fall recipes to the letter so I used to just export my weekly shopping list into excel and delete but now the quantity of items needed is only available on the screen which mean my shopping takes longer.  All in all for me the update is a bit of a let down

Posted (edited) · Report post

You're also missing some units, which has left my recipes vague when the unassigned units dropped out entirely when not matched up to one that you programmed. Some that I've noticed are:

splash, head, leaves (the app lists "leaf" but it doesn't seem to be recognizing the plural), handful, rasher (how UK specifies slices of bacon), bulb. (I'll add as I notice more.)

could you also add the following units as well?

bunch, scoop, sprig, packet

Edited by soulsketcher

Posted · Report post

I used the web interface a lot when importing recipes from random blogs and emails....now that feature isn't available.  Am I suppose to type all this in to my phone now?  Please tell me there is an easier way to do this!!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I love the app, and I would love to be able to add more nutritional info is it possible? Is there a way to sort the recipes by date?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I used the web interface a lot when importing recipes from random blogs and emails....now that feature isn't available.  Am I suppose to type all this in to my phone now?  Please tell me there is an easier way to do this!!!!!

The web site doesn't work with the new version, unfortunately. My plan is to get a desktop version out soon that will replace it and provide a much better user interface.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I love the app, and I would love to be able to add more nutritional info is it possible? Is there a way to sort the recipes by date?

You can add nutritional information to any item or recipe from its edit screen. Let me know if you're having any issues with that. There's an option on the Setting screen to disable or enable recipe nutrition auto-calculation. If that's turned on, the app tries to calculate recipe nutritional info based on the ingredients. Also, it won't let you edit nutritional values for a recipe if that option is enabled, so you may need to disable it if you'd rather enter those values yourself.

Viewing recipes by date will be added in the next update!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It would be helpful to me if I was able to choose the shopping list as the screen that opens when I open the app, instead of having to make 2 extra clicks.  

Also, when the app opens & shows the menu plan, it never opens on the current day. 

Posted · Report post

It would be helpful to me if I was able to choose the shopping list as the screen that opens when I open the app, instead of having to make 2 extra clicks.  

Also, when the app opens & shows the menu plan, it never opens on the current day. 

The default screen is something I'm working on. The last update a couple of days ago should fix the bug where it wasn't opening to the current date. 

Posted · Report post

It would be great if you would expedite a desktop version and, for what it is worth, I use the desktop version at work on my downtime. That means an app is useless to me because all apps have to be approved through IT for security reasons and they only clear apps through security that directly apply to our jobs. I can access a web site. I imagine this is true of a lot of people.

Also, capturing recipes by phone is a pain (darn near impossible when I'm pulling them from an Evernote pdf line-by-line, or from my Kindle ebooks. So I'm really looking forward to a desktop website.

Thanks

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

This update has been terrible.  I can't change stores for my shopping list, it won't save the new store.  I can't default to the shopping list view, which is a pain when out grocery shopping.  The changes in recipes are terrible. I could go on and on.  Don't you guys test before release? Have you considered a user acceptance test cycle? I assume you don't.  I am desperately looking for a new app that has the old features.  I have been using menu planner for years... But this update is forcing me to find an alternate.  So disappointed. :(

Posted · Report post

I agree with Gina about the need for the desktop version. It is so much easier to add recipes through the desktop version. Adding them on a phone or a tablet is too tedious. And since recipes are the foundation of Meal Planning, the app is not very helpful until I can add recipes.