Menu Planner 4.0 now available!

109 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Alan thanks again for replying to my e-mails. I'm cannot find the option to view the recipe from the shopping list. I usually select the dates, import the items needed but  sometimes I view the recipe to confirm the recipes assigned to and the amount needed. The app isn't allowing me to view the recipe and date. 

Now I see! I'm going to add that in for the next update. Right now it only shows the total needed for meal plans.  

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Thank you, Alan!!  The update fix for the major update worked.  I can now see my aisles in the shopping cart AND my shopping cart items no longer show as the mysterious "generic item UPC 12345678901". 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Posted yesterday at 12:17 AM · Report post

One one more thing I noticed, is that in the shopping list it shows how much of the item is needed for recipes. In the old version I could click on the item and at the bottom it showed me all of the different recipes this item was used for. This was very useful for me. Anyway to get it back?  And overall I am loving the new app!

I need this feature as well. 

I, too, am in GREAT NEED of having this feature back. It keeps me from over-buying product that I already have in my pantry/fridge. Ex, I already have 2 cans of tomatoes but my recipes and shopping list say I need 4 cans for the week.  With this feature I would double check my quantities that I REALLY needed. Alan, please, please write this feature into the next update. 

*please don't tell me the answer is in the pantry tracking feature because I don't use it. I tried it once and it wasn't accurate for the very reason listed above. I ended up spending a ton of time trying to keep the pantry totals updated and accurate. 

Edited by autumn28
Quote didn't show.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I like the updates, but I do miss the desktop version. I used to cut and paste a lot from PDF files and straight from unsupported websites. Will the updated desktop app be for Windows or Apple?

Thank you for all of your hard work on the app!

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I, too, am in GREAT NEED of having this feature back. It keeps me from over-buying product that I already have in my pantry/fridge. Ex, I already have 2 cans of tomatoes but my recipes and shopping list say I need 4 cans for the week.  With this feature I would double check my quantities that I REALLY needed. Alan, please, please write this feature into the next update. 

*please don't tell me the answer is in the pantry tracking feature because I don't use it. I tried it once and it wasn't accurate for the very reason listed above. I ended up spending a ton of time trying to keep the pantry totals updated and accurate. 

I'm working on this one now for the next update.

Posted · Report post

I like the updates, but I do miss the desktop version. I used to cut and paste a lot from PDF files and straight from unsupported websites. Will the updated desktop app be for Windows or Apple?

Thank you for all of your hard work on the app!

My plan is to have both Mac and Windows versions. 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

In the old version, when items on the shopping list were placed in the cart, you could still see the price of the items. In the new version, the displayed cost of each item turns to $0.00. After each shopping trip, I match my receipt with the items in the app cart so I can adjust prices, add in amounts I didn't have previously, etc. Zeroing out those prices makes my task much more difficult. Why did you decide to go that direction?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It also doesn't appear that my package size info translated over into the new version. There are fields for it, but they are all empty. :( Will I get that data back in the update you're working on?

Posted · Report post

I also noticed that you've change the way prices are input per item...I used to not be concerned with placing a decimal because it was automatic. It's no longer that way. I found the auto-decimal feature helpful. Can you change it back? 

Posted · Report post

Hello Alan, I cannot view the categories while in the recipes or on the recipe list. I have the same recipe name but with changes due to guests diet restrictions. I'm also missing the source information on my recipes. This is how it looked in the previous version:

image.png

Posted · Report post

I'm not interested in using the nutrition info in this app, and I've noticed that in viewing items, say, in a shopping list, the added bulk of the areas for nutrition info nearly tripled the length of the list, making it more laborious to scroll through. Is it possible to make the nutrition info an optional feature in preferences? I know it's helpful to some, but it gets in my way. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

First, I want to say how much I love this app. I've been using it since 2011 and have not found a better meal planner app out there. I constantly recommend this app to friends and family. Way to go!

However, one of the main reasons I love this app so much is the web interface. As others have stated, I do a lot of adding recipes via the web interface as it is much easier to copy and paste. I would LOVE to have a dynamic web/desktop interface that allowed me to do everything the app does, from meal planning, to adding recipes/items, etc. That being said, with the web interface being down I haven't been able to add any new recipes and therefore haven't really been able to use the app like I use to. Do you have an ETA on when something will be available? Even if it is very basic it would help to be able to continue to add/update recipes via my computer.

Thanks again for the great app and the new updates. Looking forward to seeing what else is coming!

Posted · Report post

In the old version, when items on the shopping list were placed in the cart, you could still see the price of the items. In the new version, the displayed cost of each item turns to $0.00. After each shopping trip, I match my receipt with the items in the app cart so I can adjust prices, add in amounts I didn't have previously, etc. Zeroing out those prices makes my task much more difficult. Why did you decide to go that direction?

Are all of your items showing 0.00 for the price on the shopping list? If there's a price assigned to the store you're viewing for that item, it should show the price, even if it's in the cart. Check the item edit screen and make sure there is a price assigned. It's possible your aisles and prices didn't carry over in the conversion. If that's the case, you could re-convert the data (under the settings screen), but you'd lose any changes you've made since you upgraded the app. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

it may have already been brought up but my quick search didn't find it mentioned...

1.  I loved being able to add "favorites not in pantry" to my shopping list.  I can't seem to find that option.

2.  Also, my date for what is "in" and "not in" my pantry seems to have gotten all goofed up in the transition.  annoying, but I can fix that.  However, when I am in the pantry list I have been trying to "check mark" that an item is in the pantry, but the check mark isn't being recorded.  Instead, I am having to go into each item and check off that I have it.  Even after doing a brief shopping trip this morning, "clearing the cart" did not add the items to my pantry.

Posted · Report post

It also doesn't appear that my package size info translated over into the new version. There are fields for it, but they are all empty. :( Will I get that data back in the update you're working on?

I did some checking and it looks like the package size isn't being pulled in! I'll get that fixed in an update, but it would have to be re-converted to get them back. If you had a sync account with the old app, it IS pulling package size in when it converts on the server. So as a last resort, I could reset your sync account online and let it convert the data again, but you'd lose any changes made since the upgrade to the new version, unfortunately. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hello Alan, I cannot view the categories while in the recipes or on the recipe list. I have the same recipe name but with changes due to guests diet restrictions. I'm also missing the source information on my recipes. This is how it looked in the previous version:

There's a new filters screen, but I'm not sure if that will get you where you want. I can look into adding the ability to list them by category.

Posted · Report post

I'm not interested in using the nutrition info in this app, and I've noticed that in viewing items, say, in a shopping list, the added bulk of the areas for nutrition info nearly tripled the length of the list, making it more laborious to scroll through. Is it possible to make the nutrition info an optional feature in preferences? I know it's helpful to some, but it gets in my way. 

You can turn off the nutrition fields in Settings, but you're right that it still takes up the space. That's a pretty easy fix that I can put into an update. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

First, I want to say how much I love this app. I've been using it since 2011 and have not found a better meal planner app out there. I constantly recommend this app to friends and family. Way to go!

However, one of the main reasons I love this app so much is the web interface. As others have stated, I do a lot of adding recipes via the web interface as it is much easier to copy and paste. I would LOVE to have a dynamic web/desktop interface that allowed me to do everything the app does, from meal planning, to adding recipes/items, etc. That being said, with the web interface being down I haven't been able to add any new recipes and therefore haven't really been able to use the app like I use to. Do you have an ETA on when something will be available? Even if it is very basic it would help to be able to continue to add/update recipes via my computer.

Thanks again for the great app and the new updates. Looking forward to seeing what else is coming!

Thanks for the feedback! My goal is to get another update or two finished to get the rest of the known issues taken care of, then start working on desktop versions. One of the reasons I re-wrote the entire app was to plan better for other platforms, so moving to a desktop version is going to take a lot less time than it did to do this iOS version. It's really hard to give a timeline, and I know how integral it is with the app - so it's one of my highest priorities!

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

it may have already been brought up but my quick search didn't find it mentioned...

1.  I loved being able to add "favorites not in pantry" to my shopping list.  I can't seem to find that option.

2.  Also, my date for what is "in" and "not in" my pantry seems to have gotten all goofed up in the transition.  annoying, but I can fix that.  However, when I am in the pantry list I have been trying to "check mark" that an item is in the pantry, but the check mark isn't being recorded.  Instead, I am having to go into each item and check off that I have it.  Even after doing a brief shopping trip this morning, "clearing the cart" did not add the items to my pantry.

The cart issue will be fixed in the next update so it updates the pantry automatically. For the check marks not working in the Pantry screen - are you on an iPad or iPhone? I can't make it happen on my test devices so I just want to make sure I'm looking at the same screen!

Posted · Report post

Sorry for adding even more to your plate, but there is also something going on with the meal planning section, which used to default to the number of servings in the original recipe, in black, the the number would turn red when increased or decreased. Now, it does neither and I have no way of telling how many servings the original recipe intended. Not cool when feeding a family of six with frequent guests, and when writing my own recipes. 

Alan, did you see this earlier post? You had not addressed it yet...

Posted · Report post

Alan, did you see this earlier post? You had not addressed it yet...

Yes, sorry- this thread is getting a little long :)

I've got that one fixed for the next update!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I did some checking and it looks like the package size isn't being pulled in! I'll get that fixed in an update, but it would have to be re-converted to get them back. If you had a sync account with the old app, it IS pulling package size in when it converts on the server. So as a last resort, I could reset your sync account online and let it convert the data again, but you'd lose any changes made since the upgrade to the new version, unfortunately. 

I want to make sure I understand what you're suggesting before I move forward with anything...I have not yet synced my account since the new version because I was hearing all sorts of bad news about losing data after syncing. As of this moment, I checked on the internet account via the website and my old data is intact. I'd like to keep it that way because I have accumulated a large database, and up to this point, I've had no way to either print it out or export it for safekeeping. Once it's gone or tampered with, it's gone and that would be unacceptable. So with all of that in mind, how do we go about it? I have been not making many changes (except for meal planning and such) on my devices for the reason that you mentioned to another customer that one of the fixes would involve a reset of the sync account and that they would lose changes since the update. Anything I lose that way is insignificant; but losing any past data from the server would be horrible. Can you please explain further so that I understand fully what I'm about to do?

Posted · Report post

Are all of your items showing 0.00 for the price on the shopping list? If there's a price assigned to the store you're viewing for that item, it should show the price, even if it's in the cart. Check the item edit screen and make sure there is a price assigned. It's possible your aisles and prices didn't carry over in the conversion. If that's the case, you could re-convert the data (under the settings screen), but you'd lose any changes you've made since you upgraded the app. 

Yes, all of the items are showing 0.00 for the price IN THE CART of the shopping list; I see the price when it's on my list, but once I check it off and it moves to the cart, then the prices all zero out. If you remember from my previous post, all my aisle data dropped out of the app when this new version came out. So if an aisle is required for that connection to price to be made, that may be what's going on. It sounds like I need to reset my sync account, but I'm hesitant to do that with the aforementioned issues by others...

Posted · Report post

I want to make sure I understand what you're suggesting before I move forward with anything...I have not yet synced my account since the new version because I was hearing all sorts of bad news about losing data after syncing. As of this moment, I checked on the internet account via the website and my old data is intact. I'd like to keep it that way because I have accumulated a large database, and up to this point, I've had no way to either print it out or export it for safekeeping. Once it's gone or tampered with, it's gone and that would be unacceptable. So with all of that in mind, how do we go about it? I have been not making many changes (except for meal planning and such) on my devices for the reason that you mentioned to another customer that one of the fixes would involve a reset of the sync account and that they would lose changes since the update. Anything I lose that way is insignificant; but losing any past data from the server would be horrible. Can you please explain further so that I understand fully what I'm about to do?

The old sync account isn't touched during the conversion. If it's in good shape now, it'll stay that way. What other are having success with is deleting the NEW sync account (I need to do that on my end). Then, when you sign into your sync account from the new version of Menu Planner, it triggers the data conversion on the server. It copies everything to the new sync account, and leaves the old alone. The main advantage to doing it this way is that I can update the conversion process on the server because it's outside of the app and I have full control over it. So it gets fixes right away, while the conversion inside the app has to wait for an update through the App Store, which can take up to eight days to get approved! 

So basically, I need to delete your new sync account, then have you sign in again to start the conversion of your old data on the server. After that's finished, you should be all set. And your old account will still be out there just in case. 

1 person likes this