Menu Planner 4.0 now available!

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have not upgrade my menu-planner yet, but the sync is not working properly.  I still have everything on the website, but earlier this morning my recipes were showing double and now after I did my grocery list, I went from lots and lots of recipes to only 12 and I have been using the app since the early days.  Lots of my categories are gone as well.  I plan to refresh from the server and see how that works, not sure what is going on.

I love this product and have been using it for years and it is the one app that has truly improved my life!!! 

Update: Restoring from the server brought everything back.

Edited by PamA
Updated

Posted · Report post

Thank you so much for adding the print option! I'm sure there will be lots of goodies I'll find that I like as I explore the new version. The search filters are nice, too. I need to tell you, though, that one of the reasons I chose Menu Planner over other apps was that I could see the recipe author or source in the main list as I scrolled through. I have, say, three recipes all titled "Banana Bread," and I need to be able to tell (without changing the title) which recipe I got from what person. Most recipes in my collection aren't from an internet source, but were hand-typed from old cards handed down to me from my family, so the source area won't work, and even if it did, it's not visible from the main list. In the old app, there were two "Notes" areas, one at the top (where I would put the source of my recipe) and a larger area at the bottom (where I could add actual notes about the recipe, such as how I would adapt it for next time, or a memory that goes along with the recipe). Both sections are important, and when I saw that you were creating a fix for the recipe notes, I worried that the fix might wipe out my sources, which are currently in the notes area of the new app. Having them in separate fields would also enable you to add a search filter for "Source" or "Author," allowing me to, for example, search all my mother's recipes in a list, or all of Ina Garten's recipes. I've asked for that feature in previous posts anyway. :)

Just some ideas out of concern for losing my data!

Thanks for your hard work,

Jodie

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Also, would it be possible to have the print feature be a little more space efficient? I'd like to be able to print out my entire database and put it into multiple binders in sheet protectors, for posterity's sake. Right now, the image is extremely large and the rest if the data is linear from top to bottom, which makes the printout take two pages for even the shortest ones. If you could design the print pages into, say, thirds, as you have done the digital recipes for the iPad mini, it would likely not take up as much space. It could be nice to have the option of whether to include a photo in the printout. I like them, but some people don't want to waste their ink. Thanks!

1 person likes this

Oh no no no...I'm not dealing with decimals in recipes. That's the current default in the new version, and I can't locate anywhere to change it back to fractions.....

i have to do enough math in cooking without that!

and it seems that this issue is inconsistent even within a single recipe. There are some decimals and some fractions. Please please please fix or this app is unusable to me. 

Edited by soulsketcher
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Sorry for adding even more to your plate, but there is also something going on with the meal planning section, which used to default to the number of servings in the original recipe, in black, the the number would turn red when increased or decreased. Now, it does neither and I have no way of telling how many servings the original recipe intended. Not cool when feeding a family of six with frequent guests, and when writing my own recipes. 

Posted · Report post

Oh no no no...I'm not dealing with decimals in recipes. That's the current default in the new version, and I can't locate anywhere to change it back to fractions.....

i have to do enough math in cooking without that!

Thanks for letting me know - it looks like that was missed! I'll get it added back in soon.

Thank you so much for adding the print option! I'm sure there will be lots of goodies I'll find that I like as I explore the new version. The search filters are nice, too. I need to tell you, though, that one of the reasons I chose Menu Planner over other apps was that I could see the recipe author or source in the main list as I scrolled through. I have, say, three recipes all titled "Banana Bread," and I need to be able to tell (without changing the title) which recipe I got from what person. Most recipes in my collection aren't from an internet source, but were hand-typed from old cards handed down to me from my family, so the source area won't work, and even if it did, it's not visible from the main list. In the old app, there were two "Notes" areas, one at the top (where I would put the source of my recipe) and a larger area at the bottom (where I could add actual notes about the recipe, such as how I would adapt it for next time, or a memory that goes along with the recipe). Both sections are important, and when I saw that you were creating a fix for the recipe notes, I worried that the fix might wipe out my sources, which are currently in the notes area of the new app. Having them in separate fields would also enable you to add a search filter for "Source" or "Author," allowing me to, for example, search all my mother's recipes in a list, or all of Ina Garten's recipes. I've asked for that feature in previous posts anyway. :)

Just some ideas out of concern for losing my data!

Thanks for your hard work,

Jodie

Also good to know! That field didn't get a lot of use based on the sync accounts from the previous version - but I can certainly look unto getting that added back in.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Sorry for adding even more to your plate, but there is also something going on with the meal planning section, which used to default to the number of servings in the original recipe, in black, the the number would turn red when increased or decreased. Now, it does neither and I have no way of telling how many servings the original recipe intended. Not cool when feeding a family of six with frequent guests, and when writing my own recipes. 

No need to apologize - these are the things I want to hear about! 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think I found another glitch...when adding a recipe to the meal plan, a list pops up with the option of viewing said list by A-Z or by category...I usually view by category because that's how I plan my meals. However now, the categories in said list are in alpha order, but the recipes within them are willy-nilly---no particular order at all that I can see. Since I have over 2000 recipes, this is going to be a problem. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think I found another glitch...when adding a recipe to the meal plan, a list pops up with the option of viewing said list by A-Z or by category...I usually view by category because that's how I plan my meals. However now, the categories in said list are in alpha order, but the recipes within them are willy-nilly---no particular order at all that I can see. Since I have over 2000 recipes, this is going to be a problem. 

Thanks, I'll get that fixed.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

When planning meals in the older version, I was able to tap on the recipe from a search list to view it quickly before adding it to my menu plan. Now when I tap on a recipe from a search list, it opens the recipe for editing. Not as convenient for me. 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I really like the upgrade. However anytime I do anything it crashes. I synced from the server after the upgrade. Suggestions?

Posted · Report post

I can no longer specify (for example) can sizes in a recipe without the app completely ignoring the quantities when adjusting servings. Here is what I mean:

2 (15-oz) cans black beans

In the old app, I could write a recipe this way and the 2 would adjust with the rest of the recipe when changing the number of servings; but now it doesn't change at all. In fact, in the new version, all of my parenthetical notations like this have disappeared, leaving me without the necessary information to cook recipes properly. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I really like the upgrade. However anytime I do anything it crashes. I synced from the server after the upgrade. Suggestions?

Does it seem to crash at specific times or is it random? 

Hi, Alan! Thanks for the update. The new interface looks great!

I'm not sure what happened, but after I did the sync set up on my iPad, all of my menu data is gone. I'm a long-time user, but I couldn't remember my login (if I had one), even though I tried everything I could think of and even requested password resets to 2 different email addresses (no email arrived - even checked my junk mail).

So finally, I gave up and created a new sync account, figuring it would upload what was on my iPad to the sync server. It synced for nearly 30 minutes, after which I discovered that all of my menus had disappeared. I'm not sure whether the syncing or the new update caused them to disappear. I still have my pantry items and recipes (though they are doubled - two of each), but no menus. Since I usually copy my menus from previous weeks and months, this is frustrating.

I have a few menus on my iPhone, but since I don't use the app there as often, they are scattered.  I am afraid to set up syncing on the phone, because I might lose those menus too. Is there anything I can do?

Edited by Katzy615

Minor strangeness...on my iPad mini, the "Ingredients" header in any given recipe is not fixed when I scroll through a long list of ingredients. It moves with the scrolling slightly and then will not return to its original location...

actually, now that I look more closely, it never is at the top, where it should be fixed. It's down a bit and then moves with the scrolling text...

Edited by soulsketcher

Posted · Report post

Hi, Alan! Thanks for the update. The new interface looks great!

I'm not sure what happened, but after I did the sync set up on my iPad, all of my menu data is gone. I'm a long-time user, but I couldn't remember my login (if I had one), even though I tried everything I could think of and even requested password resets to 2 different email addresses (no email arrived - even checked my junk mail).

So finally, I gave up and created a new sync account, figuring it would upload what was on my iPad to the sync server. It synced for nearly 30 minutes, after which I discovered that all of my menus had disappeared. I'm not sure whether the syncing or the new update caused them to disappear. I still have my pantry items and recipes (though they are doubled - two of each), but no menus. Since I usually copy my menus from previous weeks and months, this is frustrating.

I have a few menus on my iPhone, but since I don't use the app there as often, they are scattered.  I am afraid to set up syncing on the phone, because I might lose those menus too. Is there anything I can do?

Hello! I'm going to send you an email to see if I can help out.

Posted · Report post

Now I'm officially in trouble...

Your new measurement system took the liberty of converting all of my tablespoons, which were written with a capital T, and changed them all to teaspoons. There is no way for me to know which was which and I'm ticked. Can this be fixed? I have over 2,000 recipes. No way am I going back through them all to guess what they were supposed to read when I input them. Please help. 

Posted · Report post

All my aisles are gone as well, but it looks like a fix is in the works.  

In addition all of my menu plans are gone.  The recipes are intact, but their assignments to meals and days are gone.  

PLEASE help!

Posted · Report post

I have not synced nor will I until these bugs are fixed. With a database as large as mine, I can't take chances losing my originals because that represents literally thousands of hours of work on my part. I've been a loyal user from the beginning, but this is a huge loss of functionality. 

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

I also noticed that the requested feature of calculating in sales tax when viewing the total cost of what's in the cart is still not implemented. All it would take is an option in the settings, that if turned on, would ask for a percentage. The app would do the math. Did you decide not to incorporate that, Alan?

Posted · Report post

Well, I probably do not use the app as fully as some other people.... So I have not seen any problems or bugs... Don't use the pantry tracking feature... Though I plan to... One day... I realize inserting all the nutrition data to ingredients will be quite a task... But maybe... Some day... 

The one thing I was interested in... And I think I may have even asked for, in one of these community pages, was a clickable link, from the recipe page, back to the original source... Because sometimes, they have extras at the site... Like step by step pictures... AND YOU HAVE THAT!   YAAAAAAAY!  I am interested to try the "link only" feature... To perhaps save some data space... That is hoping and assuming the source never changes it on their end...😉

The only real issue I don't understand completely is about syncing... I have so many recipes on my iPad. Once I realized I could also retrieve them on my home computer, I tried syncing... But ended up blowing away all the stuff on my iPad....

I think I just need a primer on how to do that properly, to not lose all my work... And I have an older iPad... I would like to sync that, because I may just use it for a few apps... Like this one, to take into the kitchen. I just need to understand, how I do that so they all have the same info... Maybe it's a simple process, but I think I just need a few hints, on it. I generally import and do the original work on the iPad.... So that is essentially the master... I just want the other iPad and my PC/online to copy what I have done there... 

But, I really do like the new look, and new features of this app. Big kudos to all the hard work you put in. I really think it is a wonderful app. I actually bought it for my sister, and Mom, before she passed, may she rest in peace, because we all have (had) iPads... (Mom was 79, but very computer savvy). It's a great way to clip, save and share recipes...

Thank you!

Posted · Report post

One one more thing I noticed, is that in the shopping list it shows how much of the item is needed for recipes. In the old version I could click on the item and at the bottom it showed me all of the different recipes this item was used for. This was very useful for me. Anyway to get it back?  And overall I am loving the new app!

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

One one more thing I noticed, is that in the shopping list it shows how much of the item is needed for recipes. In the old version I could click on the item and at the bottom it showed me all of the different recipes this item was used for. This was very useful for me. Anyway to get it back?  And overall I am loving the new app!

I need this feature as well. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I can't get the menu planning I've created on my iPhone to sync with my iPad. The shopping list syncs but none of the calendar. This is a problem as I use my phone to plan & shop, but use my iPad to cook & read the recipes.

I am anxiously awaiting the update which allows me to add my favorite items to my shopping list! 

Thanks for the update, overall I'm liking it!

I am having the exact same issue. I synced my phone online and my phone looks like it should. Then I synced my IPad with the online version, all my items synced but not the menu plan. 

Posted · Report post

Alan thanks again for replying to my e-mails. I'm cannot find the option to view the recipe from the shopping list. I usually select the dates, import the items needed but  sometimes I view the recipe to confirm the recipes assigned to and the amount needed. The app isn't allowing me to view the recipe and date. 

image.png

1 person likes this