Menu Planner 4.0 now available!

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

To access your recipes online using the new version of Menu Planner, go to http://menu-planner.comthen click on the Sign In link at the top of the page.

It's been a long time coming, but the next update to Menu Planner is finally here! I've spent the last 10 months re-writing the entire app from the ground up to take advantage of the newest iOS features and give it a much needed face lift! 

I've already got more features being worked on for the next update, but I felt it needed to be released at this point so I can start collecting feedback. One major change is that you must be running iOS 8.0 or higher. I struggled with having this as a requirement, but iOS 8 is where Apple made some pretty significant changes, and supporting older versions of iOS requires a lot of workarounds and time that I just don't have, unfortunately.

The first thing I'll be working on is some new user guides. I tried to keep the interface close to the original so there isn't too much of a shock for existing users, but there are definitely some differences! Please let me know what you think.

Some of the new features worth mentioning:

• Recipes can now auto-calculate nutrition information as long as the ingredients assigned have their nutritional values set. 
  • You can add separate profiles for each person you plan meals for. 
  • The iPhone version can save your daily nutritional values to the Apple Health App.
  • Apple watch support - this version is pretty basic, but I have more planned for the watch interface.

There are a lot of other features that I couldn't squeeze into this update, but they're coming! Re-writing it has made it possible to expand in directions I just couldn't do with the old version. I'm excited to get started on the next set of features already! 

Please note that this new version doesn't have a web interface. I have the beginnings of a web interface for the new version ready to be used. Go to http://menu-planner.comthen click on the Sign In link at the top of the page to manage your recipes online. Please let me know if you run into any issues, and please keep in mind that it's only going to let you edit recipes for now. I'm still working on the other areas. 

My end goal is to have desktop versions of the app available soon that will be a much better user experience than a web based interface. I'm still the lone developer for this app, so I'm trying to put my time where it makes the most sense.

Thank you for your patience, I hope you enjoy this latest update!

Alan

Edited by Alan
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

All my aisles are cleared out in my favorite store with this new app. Is this setting on maybe 500 elements gone forever or is it some way to make them come back?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

My aisles are not connected to the items either. :(

Also, there was a way to add all the favorites to the shopping list. Is there a way to do that? I can see the favorites, but I don't see a way to add them all to my shopping list. I normally use this and my meal plan to form my shopping list. I have a "store" category from my house with aisles being where they are. The aisles help me to double check what is needed. If they are gone, that will a huge chunk of time reassigning them. Please tell me there is hope.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for letting me know - I'm looking into the missing aisles issue now. 

You can filter your pantry to show your favorites (from the pantry screen), but after reading your comment, I realized there isn't a way to just add all favorites to the shopping list! I'll get that added to the next update. Thanks for your patience!

Alan

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

I do like the print feature and the new look.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Edgar & Wifery - are your items showing a store assigned to them still or is that missing as well? 

Posted · Report post

I have the same problem with the aisles, but fyg the store is still assigned.

Posted · Report post

Found the problem! I've got a fix in the works, but it'll require an update to the App Store. I'm going to try to request a quick review so it doesn't take the normal 8 days! With the update, you'll get an option to re-convert your data. The only downside is that you'll lose any changes you've made since you upgraded to the new version of Menu Planner. 

The bug will not affect everyone - only previous users who had data to convert. However, if you have an online sync account and use that to populate Menu Planner, the data converts correctly. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for letting me know so I can get a fix out asap!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I used this app for the recipes and pantry I do not like the new set.  It is geared for the meal planing now the other way it was usable for multi purposes.

Posted · Report post

I used this app for the recipes and pantry I do not like the new set.  It is geared for the meal planing now the other way it was usable for multi purposes.

I'm always open to feedback and suggestions. What kinds of issues are you running into with the new version?

Posted · Report post

How to delete a ingredient 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I lost all the nutrients for all my recipes

Posted · Report post

If you go to the edit screen for a recipe, you can delete the ingredients there. If you want to delete something from the pantry, you can swipe across it to get the Delete button. 

For the nutritional info - make sure in the Settings that you have the option to "Calculate recipe nutrition from ingredients" turned off. Otherwise, the app will try to calculate those values for you based on the ingredients. 

Posted · Report post

I like the new style, the recipe layout is much easier to work with - thanks for the update. The only problem I've found so far is that notes I'd added to recipes (useful things like corrections to cooking times and temperature for my oven) seemed to have vanished. Is there anyway to recover them please? The thought of all that trial and error again to get cake baking times just right is terrifying! 

Posted · Report post

I like the new style, the recipe layout is much easier to work with - thanks for the update. The only problem I've found so far is that notes I'd added to recipes (useful things like corrections to cooking times and temperature for my oven) seemed to have vanished. Is there anyway to recover them please? The thought of all that trial and error again to get cake baking times just right is terrifying! 

Hello! This is actually the same issue that people have run into with store aisles not being assigned to their foods. Here's the update from that issue that also applies here:

Found the problem! I've got a fix in the works, but it'll require an update to the App Store. I'm going to try to request a quick review so it doesn't take the normal 8 days! With the update, you'll get an option to re-convert your data. The only downside is that you'll lose any changes you've made since you upgraded to the new version of Menu Planner. 

The bug will not affect everyone - only previous users who had data to convert. However, if you have an online sync account and use that to populate Menu Planner, the data converts correctly. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for letting me know so I can get a fix out asap!

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hello! This is actually the same issue that people have run into with store aisles not being assigned to their foods. Here's the update from that issue that also applies here:

Thanks for the fast reply :-) The customer support for this app is great!  I'm now breathing a sign of relief as I just found my notes on the iPhone version of the app (updated from the sync account unlike my iPad) - thank you!  One other thing I have noticed though.  Both the iphone and IPad versions crash when I try and open the shopping list. It works fine with the Apple Watch though. Thanks again

Posted · Report post

With the "recipes" tab, I used to be able to sort by "last used" which was really helpful in creating each weeks meal plan. I can't work out how to do that now...

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

With the "recipes" tab, I used to be able to sort by "last used" which was really helpful in creating each weeks meal plan. I can't work out how to do that now...

Looks like I missed that in the re-write! I'll look into getting that added back in.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the fast reply :-) The customer support for this app is great!  I'm now breathing a sign of relief as I just found my notes on the iPhone version of the app (updated from the sync account unlike my iPad) - thank you!  One other thing I have noticed though.  Both the iphone and IPad versions crash when I try and open the shopping list. It works fine with the Apple Watch though. Thanks again

I'll look into the shopping list crashing - if you get a chance, can you go to the Settings screen, then tap Contact Support to send me a copy of your database? I can use that to find the issue. 

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Quick update on the shopping list crash - check here for a fix. 

Disasterarea1 - if you have syncing setup on your iPhone already, tap the Sync Now button and it should fix the problem. On your iPad, setup syncing to the same account you're using on your iPhone, and it should also take care of the issue. Let me know if that's not the case!

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the update it looks great. But it has just caused me a major financial issue. The reason for this is I am still on a 1st gen iPad which I always used menu planner on as it is much easier on the larger screen. The syncing then allowed me to use it in store on my iPhone to do the shop.

The older version on my iPad is not syncing anymore, so can I go back to the old version on my iPhone as I'm not going to be able to afford to buy a newer iPad to carry on using menu planner as I used to?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can't get the menu planning I've created on my iPhone to sync with my iPad. The shopping list syncs but none of the calendar. This is a problem as I use my phone to plan & shop, but use my iPad to cook & read the recipes.

I am anxiously awaiting the update which allows me to add my favorite items to my shopping list! 

Thanks for the update, overall I'm liking it!

Edited by Jenna
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the update it looks great. But it has just caused me a major financial issue. The reason for this is I am still on a 1st gen iPad which I always used menu planner on as it is much easier on the larger screen. The syncing then allowed me to use it in store on my iPhone to do the shop.

The older version on my iPad is not syncing anymore, so can I go back to the old version on my iPhone as I'm not going to be able to afford to buy a newer iPad to carry on using menu planner as I used to?

I don't think there's an easy way to revert to an older version of an app, but I found this article that might point you in the right direction. I haven't tried it myself, so proceed with caution! It has you deleting the app completely, which will delete any data (unless you have a sync account). 

I had to make a tough decision on the minimum iOS version, and unfortunately the older versions require a lot more work to include now. 

Posted · Report post

First let me say I love the new look and feel!  Well done!  The one thing I noticed during my first tour of the update is that the 'last used' date is no longer appearing in recipe view. I used that feature in a couple of ways.  1.   To make sure I chose recipes for my planning that hadn't been used too recently and 2. I'd often go back to the date I last used a recipe to see what I paired it with.  Is this a feature I can expect in an upcoming release or is that one gone forever. 

Overall though, this looks like a great update and this app is my absolute go to for meal planning. My husband and I both have it loaded on our iPads and don't know what we would do without it. Thank you for your continued support!  It's an amazing feat to have single-handedly developed and support such a product! 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

First let me say I love the new look and feel!  Well done!  The one thing I noticed during my first tour of the update is that the 'last used' date is no longer appearing in recipe view. I used that feature in a couple of ways.  1.   To make sure I chose recipes for my planning that hadn't been used too recently and 2. I'd often go back to the date I last used a recipe to see what I paired it with.  Is this a feature I can expect in an upcoming release or is that one gone forever. 

Overall though, this looks like a great update and this app is my absolute go to for meal planning. My husband and I both have it loaded on our iPads and don't know what we would do without it. Thank you for your continued support!  It's an amazing feat to have single-handedly developed and support such a product! 

Thank you! I appreciate that. I do plan on adding the "last used" date back in very soon. It looks like it got missed in the re-writing of the app!

1 person likes this